Monday, May 16, 2011

Heiko Müller

Heiko Müller is a Hamburg (Germany) based artist who combines the surrealism of nature with art. With themes that revolve around nature with a touch of darkness, he experiments with imagery that has the ability to haunt and delight at the same time.
From his bio:
My art comes from an urge to explore. I like the countryside. I like a good view. And once I’m face to face with a lovely scenery, I feel immediately tempted to find out what it’s concealing. The dark goings-on behind the façade of nature, you might say, or the hidden machinations of the animal kingdom.
To imagine and express this, I usually tap the lines linking religious icon art, renaissance painting and comic culture. I am particularly thrilled by the kind of spiritual terror you find expressed in the paintings of the old Flemish masters, and I’m trying to find out what happens when you apply that mood to the serene and harmless world of rural folk art.
There’s something to be said about the way Heiko renders the hidden inner workings of nature’s mind; I’ll definitely look twice the next time I’m going camping! Of course if you don’t want to do the imagining so much, pick up Heiko’s prints over at Thumbtack Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment